Ludwig Ch. Stern’s German version of Cúirt an Mheán Oíche
- Location: Ollscoil Humboldt (Unter den Linden), Berlin, Germany.
- Dates: 23 – 24 March 2006
In 2006, Cumann Merriman organised a special School in Berlin to celebrate Ludwig Ch. Stern’s 1905 German version of Cúirt an Mheán Oíche.
The School was opened by His Excellency Seán Ó hUiginn, Irish Ambassador to Germany, who announced funding from ‘Ciste Léann na Gaeilge’ for seven German Universities to support the teaching of the Irish‑language and Celtic Studies abroad.
Speakers included Liam P. Ó Murchú, Joachim Fischer, Professor Pádraig Ó Riain and Professor Hildergard Tristram.
Thursday 23rd March
- 18.30 Reception
- Humboldt University (Unter den Linden), home to a sound archive including many 20th century recordings of Irish-speakers.
- 19.30 Opening of the School
- By the Irish Ambassador to the Federal Republic of Germany, His Excellency Seán Ó hUiginn.
- By Liam Ó Dochartaigh, Cathaoirleach of Cumann Merriman. An introduction to Cumann Merriman, its foundation, history and aims, and an introduction to Brian Merriman and his famous poem, Cúirt an Mheán Oíche.
- 20.00 Lecture
- Preparing the Ground: Ludwig Stern and the German Contribution to Celtic Studies by Professor Pádraig Ó Riain, University College, Cork and Humboldt prizewinner. Chairwoman: Hildegard L.C. Tristram, University of Freiburg.
- 21.00 Readings from Cúirt an Mheán Oíche
- Read in German by Hildegard L.C. Tristram and Arne Peters, and in Irish by Eoghan Ó hAnluain and Áine Uí Cheallaigh. Cathaoirleach: Liam Ó Dochartaigh.
- 22.30 Club Merriman
- Conviviality, congeniality and song in the Clarion Hotel with the traditional singers, Áine Uí Cheallaigh, Pádraig Ó Cearbhaill and Lillis Ó Laoire.
Friday 24th March
- 09.30 Lecture
- Merriman’s Cúirt: The Autograph, The Manuscripts and the Editors by Liam P. Ó Murchú, University College, Cork. Cathaoirleach: Dr. Meidhbhín Ní Úrdail.
- 10.30 Lecture
- From Stern to Kirsch: Explaining Merriman to the Germans by Dr. Joachim Fischer, University of Limerick. Cathaoirleach: An Dr. Meidhbhín Ní Úrdail.
- 11.00 Tea break
- 11.30 Lecture
- The Current Position of Irish and Celtic Studies in the German Speaking Countries by Professor, Dr. Hildegard L.C. Tristram, University of Freiburg. Cathaoirleach: Dr. Liam Mac Mathúna, St. Patrick’s College, Dromcondra.
- 12.30 Lunch
- The Twelve Apostles Restaurant.
- 14.30 Visit to Sound Archives, Humboldt University
- Conducted by Sabine Heinz and the archive administrator, Jurgen Marenholz.
- 19.30 Reception
- Invitation to the Ambassador’s Residence from His Excellency Seán Ó hUiginn, Irish Ambassador to the Federal Republic of Germany.